Yes, it is no secret: I am NOT pregnant. But what I am is a birth ball lover. Originally purchased for my DONA doula training workshop, it has become a close friend of mine as I continue to work on school work from home. It's so easy for me to stay slouched over in a chair for eight hours a day without this thing. Here are five ways why I think birth balls rock:
1. Helps open up your hips. If you are pregnant, this will help make room for your baby to descend into your pelvis.
2. Helps straighten your back. This will help keep your body symmetrical.
3. Can lean over them and rest your head on them. You can do this during contractions or pushing. I also find this especially helpful to do during painful period cramps.
4. Increases blood flow to the uterus. This can be compromised when seated for long periods of time.
5. Can also be used for exercise! It's true: a birthing ball and exercise ball are basically the same thing. I use mine when completing at-home workouts.
What are some ways birth balls have helped you?